Thursday, March 7, 2013

Using Negative Punch/Die-Cut Images

When planning a card class, my main objective is to get the most use out of each piece of cardstock. This helps to keep the cost down. So when I need circles, for instance, I'll cram as many as possible onto an 8.5 x 11 piece of cardstock.
However, when making just one or two cards, the opposite often offers a more efficient use of cardstock.
  • Cut cardstock into 1/4 sheets. You can trim the edges later when you know what size you actually need. This works for color and white cardstock.
  • Center your punch or die-cut (either in the middle, the top, anywhere...be creative) and cut.
That's it. How simple. Now I not only have the cut out image (e.g. the scalloped circle), but I also have a negative image that I can use on the front of another card. Two for the price of one.

Below is an example of this. I cutout a space for the saying also. Then I embossed the top layer and placed a 2nd negative image behind (blue scallop circle and yellow regular circle). The stamped flower and saying went in the openings, flat to the card base. Then using puffies (my word for dimensionals), I raised the entire front of the card (the blue/yellow piece). A ribbon bow finished off the card.

 
Now, I'm off to work on a second card using the cutouts from this card. It's almost like getting 2 cards for the price of 1. And anyone that knows me well, knows that I love a bargain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Your words of encouragement keep me 'crafting.'